CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

BEWARE!!!

Okay...last Wednesday I took in some clothes to the consignment store on Memorial Road. There were no customers when I arrived to discuss possibly selling off some of Landice's old clothes. I didn't have much "good stuff" left because we have enjoyed passing our clothes on to other people. But I thought I would give it a shot and maybe make a couple of bucks. (I am too lazy to do consignment sales...I am impressed by those who make all the effort.) I got a really strange vibe from the lady who owned the store and I should have listened to my instincts. But again I was lazy and left my stuff with the lady to go through knowing that she "wouldn't pay much for clothing and to go somewhere else." Well, again I was lazy and didn't want to make an appointment with Children's Orchard so I left and came back an hour later. She had a pile of my stuff that she wanted to buy. I looked through it asking whether or not she would buy the Gap and Chaps brand clothing. She said "No, hon, I can't buy them...these lights I have here show all the stains." I thought this was strange because one particularly cute purple Gap dress did not have a single stain on it. She paid me a whoppin' $22 dollars for a bunch of clothes and blankets. She had me sign a paper saying the sale did occur. She and her son helped me load up the clothes in my van since I had all 3 kiddos with me. I thought as I was leaving that I should double check to make sure the "good stuff" was still in my boxes. But having been rearended on Tuesday, I was distracted by phone calls to the insurance agent, adjustor, Auto shop, and car rental place. So I didn't check until Friday when I had some friends come over to which I was going to give the clothes to. She had stolen all the "good stuff." Originally, I wasn't going to go and talk to her about this since I really was just going to give it away, but it's the principle that counts. So today I went to her store and asked to see the paper I signed. She told me that she didn't keep it and I then told her that wasn't very good business to get rid of proof of purchasing items that you sell, especially when that was the purpose of me signing it. She flips out on me...she tells me that I must be mistaken and that she didnt' know what I was talking about. Then she shows me the paper she had just said she didn't keep. I told her that this was my first experience with consigning and it wasn't a very good one. She then starts bawling and saying that she had to do CPR on her son on Saturday and he almost died. She didn't want to come to work but he wanted to. She rants all the way to the back of the store and locks the door, turns the OPEN sign off, and tells me that I can have all the money in the cash register. At this point, my jaw must have been on the floor due to her reaction. She keeps on saying that she can't handle this "Not today, Not today! You are telling me that I am jipping people and I dont' know how to run my business...I am a terrible person." I gently told her that I didn't want to sound insensitive or make her day worse...I even asked her if I could do something for her or her son. She was very out of control so I gently told her that would be leaving seeing as I had Hayden with me and I didn't know if she would get violent...Wow! I can't believe all that happened...So...my take is if you want to find a person to take your clothes off of your hands for free and see a woman go from guilty to manic in 60 secs...this is the place to go!

9 comments:

Candice said...

That lady always gave me a weird vibe. I never tried to sell anything to her. She told me her son was mentally handicapped.

Gena said...

That story is nuts! I'll make sure to steer clear. What we don't give to other friends, we just take to the thrift store and get a tax write off. It's so much easier and helps on our taxes.

Emily said...

NEVER believe it when people give you a "my child is sick" story. They do that to get off the hook. I would have stayed an fought tooth and nail.

But I'm slightly confrontational...and you DID have a baby with you.

DeeDee said...

glad you made it out of there alive, however if you didn't have any kids with you we all know you could have taken her down in about 5 seconds!

Mandy said...

That is insane! What a crazy lady.

Kelli said...

That is crazy. Part of me wants to go to the store to check this lady out.

Nicole said...

I won't shop in there that's for sure!!!

Michelle said...

So I used to work at the Battco down the way from that store, and they are crazy...her son is scary. He has called me many names that I didn't appreciate and will not repeat them. I was to scared to talk to her so I made the guy at the Hertz next door complain about them....not sure that was very Christian of me, but at least it kept my mouth shut....he had problems with them too.

ParamedicMommy said...

Oh my goodness! I went in there a couple weeks ago to see what kinda stuff they had...her son kept following me around and staring at me and the lady was off doing something else and when she did talk to me I just had a weird vibe about the whole thing too. They didn't have hardly anything in there so I left and I DEFINITELY won't go back now!