CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Leftovers...


Do you ever feel like you just go and go and go? And at the end of the day you have nothing left to give? This is how I feel a lot of times. Unfortunately, I am giving my all to my kids and my family and somehow the guy that gets all the leftovers is my wonderful hubby. And trust me, he'll take all the leftovers he can get! It's amazing how our life transforms from being a self-absorbed couple who grosses people out with displays of PDA to the couple that doesn't even sit by each other at church let alone look at each other in public. During the early years of honeymooning and settling into careers, it was easy to skate by on mindless entertainment without truly engaging our principles. But now that we are in full blown done making baby stage our lives have been altered far beyond our television and movie choices. We have had to reevaluate what we really stand for and make the best use of our time(as you can see I chose wisely!). Since adding our third blessing to our family, I have come to the realization that this is life as we know it now. And just when I get a grasp of what I am to tackle on a daily basis it forever changes on me. I feel as if I have morphed into a being that is polar opposite of how I was when I met Joshua. I was a fly-by-the-seat of someone else's britches kind of gal. I didn't wear a watch and I thought I was invincible. Now I am all about "things have to have a place" and "hurry up we're running late." I constantly worry about my babies and my friends babies and how we can get them to heaven with us. I care less about how I look and what people think and more about how I can nurse my youngest without flashing the world all the while keeping my other two from playing in the trash or touching a toilet seat. Even though people will forcast what we are to go through, somehow I am still amazed at how God won't let us accept what we are going through until we experience it for ourselves. Even still, if we were to choose to accept what is to come we would still set our expectations at inappropriate levels. As frustrating as that seems, God designed life perfectly so that we may choose who we will serve. I have decided that I can either waller in my self-pity day to day and be drowned by my inadequacies or I can accept the challenge God has placed before us one day at a time. Now back to those leftovers...part of my day to day challenge is how can I give my hubby more than just leftovers...A good friend of mine shared with me how she and her hubby took some time to go over His Needs, Her Needs. What a great idea they had! Joshua and I did this tonight and it is amazing how God is already working in reviving our desire to give more than 2 day old stew that Landice dumped in the fridge.

9 comments:

suzspeaks said...

Elizabeth, It's like your words came straight from my head! Thank you for this post! Its funny because when we took HNHN when we were newly married... we thought "none of this applies to us". Oh, what a slap in the face!! I've been thinking for some time that we should pull out those books... I think I'll just do that today!

Have a good weekend!

Gena said...

Thanks for sharing what's on your heart, Elizabeth. I haven't read those books, but I do understand about taking it day to day, and just handling what God has entrusted you with.

Wa Wa Waughs said...

HNHN is a good thing to do...we did that long ago and ended up being the oldest couple in the class! I think we scared all the newly marrieds to death. One thing we did throughout that was laugh a lot! We decided everyone needs a sense of humor about couple life!

Kelli said...

That is a GREAT book. We were in a marriage group (just a group of our married friends) last spring that read and discussed that book. It made a big difference for us too.

Newberry said...

Well said! We can all use a refresher from time to time, and that is a great book. I also like 5 Love Languages.

ParamedicMommy said...

I've heard of that book and think it'd be something my hubby and I should do too. What a great post! I feel alot of what you're feeling too. I may not have 3 kids, but even being a brand new mom, I am pretty overwhelmed sometimes! Alot different than before he was here, and I need to just count my blessings. Thanks!

ParamedicMommy said...

Oh yeah and I just started to get my rear back in shape post baby!!! When do your next set of classes start?? I miss your intense workouts you put me through! hehe

Elizabeth Mullins said...

Jennifer, good for you! I hope things are going well with your little one. We are actually running classes right now and will complete this session in about 3 weeks. Our plans are to continue again!

Amy said...

That is a great book. We read and took the class about 15 years ago and believe me it works. Good luck and get the kids to bed early and make it routine. When you have at least an hour in the evening to veg together even if you are tired it is a great time together.