CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Garden Therapy/Education...

may cause me to need therapy...just kidding. No really though. I am so anal about a lot of things. I see my kid's mimicking my analsies and it kicks me in the gut every time. I can't count how many times I have to stop and say I am sorry for being too particular or grouchy in the moment that they are stepping on my poor defenseless plant we just planted. But, my children are more precious than that plant. So, I can't count how many times I mutter a prayer under my breath or even out loud so that I can get through the next 3 moments.

Some of you may be thinking, "Save yourself some time and grief and just don't have a garden." Most of the time I would agree with you. I hated working in the garden growing up. I swore I would never pull another weed in my life. Mostly because it was my punishment and I hate bugs, snakes, and crawly creepy things.

But, I can appreciate hard work, determination, manual labor, sweat, and perseverance. I can also appreciate the wonder my kid's have about how God makes things grow. I love seeing them get excited about a new sprout or a new flower blooming. I love catching my kid doing something good like sweeping off the patio this morning when he didn't know I was looking. I love seeing them get excited to spend time with me and to be my helper.

Here is what we have done so far with the Pizza Garden:

Bye Bye Play Set...sniff, sniff...I am missing you severely.

Daddy's helpers!
90 seedlings...this when they are only 1 week old! 3 types of tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, squash, zucchini!

Nice Basil!

Play set pieces of wood are now our pizza slice dividers. The lovely rock border was from last Wednesday's scavenger hunt along old dirt roads north of our neighborhood. Which reminds me, I still need to find more rock and clean out the back of my van...again!

2 comments:

Josh said...

Just FYI, I didn't take the playset down just so I would have dividers for the garden...The playset had to be put down because it could no longer be counted on to withstand the vigors of our children.

Kayla said...

I was wondering about that. I was like your kids haven't outgrown that yet have they!!? I will be so jealous when you have fresh veggies and I don't. One of these day's I'm going to have grow food...(kinda like I'll start working out one of these days...)