CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 17, 2009

Encouragement

Encouragement can go a long way. Whether it is to go to bed earlier, eat healthier, read you Bible more, Pray more, Patience with your kids, Take time to slowwww Downnn. Okay, so all of these are things that have been on my heart to focus more on. I will admit I don't like to feel like someone is telling me what to do or I will do the opposite. I know I am just a rebel at heart. And I am aware of what I have to look forward to concerning my kids looking to me for guidance. But I wanted to share this little story with you because I am constantly amazed at where a little slice of encouragement can come from.


First, a little background. JoAnne and Stafford North were one of the sets of Elders assigned to our JSO Bible Class for the last 6 years or more...not exactly sure really how long...so don't quote me on that one. Anyway, after a baby is born they try to come visit us and encourage us. They always bring a gift with them. It is called the My Goodnight Bible. We have 3 copies of this, so you know that they were very consistent and generous, but I think the point is they truly want this book to help teach & encourage our kids stories of the Bible on a simpler level. Funny how things are meant to be for our kids, but end up helping the parents more. Here is how the rest of the story goes:

Last night I was reading to Landice out of this book. We were reading how God keeps his promises. God said, "What God promises, he keeps." Numbers 23:19 The story we read was about how God promised Noah that the rain would stop and he would save his family because he was faithful to God. So I went to bed being reminded of how God does keep his promises. Back to the beginning of this blog where I have been needing some encouragement in those particular areas. This morning I was awaken by God himself...just kidding...I was dreaming...just Hayden needing his morning nourishment. But, instead of going back to bed to sleep until Joshua walked out the door, I was encouraged to open my Bible and pull out my journal and look back at the promises God has kept for me. I was amazed at how much God has changed in me personally and in other facets of my life. After reading some journal entries, I wanted to read some scripture about self-discipline. God can give me the strength to accomplish anything, BUT I have to be willing to put forth the effort. I will admit my effort has been a weak attempt to scathe by trying to check in when necesary. So, I meant to open up to 2 Timothy 1:7, "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline", but instead I opened up to 1 Timothy and read the first 7 verses. 1 Timothy was a letter written by Paul to Timothy warning them against false teachers of the law. Verses 5 & 6 stood out to me "The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. Some have wandered away from these and turned to meaningless talk." After reading a few verses, I try to see how I can apply them to my personal life. I have not been going out and spreading false teachings, but I have not been filling myself up on God's word to help me have more meaning in my speech. For me personally, I felt like I just had a swift kick in the pants and to think it all started with reading to my daughter last night about how God follows through on his promises. I was encouraged by this one verse and look how long this post is turning out to be. I want to encourage you to find a way to ask God to help you in your struggles today...because he will help you!

6 comments:

Emily said...

Elizabeth, will you move in with me for the sole purpose of giving me a smack upside the head when I need it?

Thanks for your thoughts...after cleaning up a bowlful of cocoa puffs this morning, I needed to hear this!

Gena said...

Thanks Elizabeth. You always say the perfect things at the perfect moments for me.

Wa Wa Waughs said...

I really do believe the things we teach our kids just reenforces those teachings for us as parents! It's wonderful! God knew what he was doing!

Samantha said...

I have to say that you are wise beyond your years Elizabeth. I am blessed to be part of your family and I am so excited that Daniel gets to spend time with you all. I know that you would like more patience however I know that you must have plenty of that. Have a good day and it looks like Easter went well.

Candice said...

Elizabeth, this is a thought out of our own hearts. We are very unsure in our situation. We are used to thinking we are in the driver's seat. We have looked back together on the last 10 years we have been together. God has always taken care of things. Looking back at that certainly does help to calm an anxious heart that He is in control and not us.

Michelle said...

Oh I ran 5 miles yesterday and I'm going to run 5 tomorrow before the wedding....i thought it was going to rain today...