CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Eat Clean in 2010


I have been voraciously reading the Eat Clean Diet & Eat Clean Diet Cookbook! I have loved EVERY bit of it because it has reminded me why we choose to eat such healthy foods in our house AND why I need to cut out some very bad habits of mine! I allowed us to slowly let some junk food become mainstream in our house with all the great excuses like: "we are moving" "we are so busy" "my kids won't eat that" "I am too tired to prepare that" "I am tired of the kids not eating what I fix" "yada yada yada." This book has revived my excitement about all the great foods that God created for us fresh, not man-boxed, shipped, & tainted so you will love the crap they put in it, get overly addicted & overweight just to buy more of it. This book teaches you about different healthy oils to cook with, how to use them, where to find the unusual items (some I have found at Target!).

I hope you are as excited as I am by now! I love this book and the Eating for Life book because it promotes healthy eating every 3 hours. You fuel your body with delicious, nutritious foods that costs less than buying all the pre-packaged items. I won't lie, you do have to think ahead and prepare. But, with anything worth doing, it is worth doing right. Why do you choose to eat more healthfully? First of all, it's preventative. How often do you go to the doctor? Is your weight in a healthy range? Do you have a family history of obesity, high blood pressure, or heart disease? How often do you get headaches or feel very tired & lethargic in the afternoons? By eating healthy we can stave off many illnesses and unnecessary symptoms.

Secondly, we are creating healthy habits. Most of us know what foods are NOT good for us and we know very little about healthy foods, so we don't try them. Not everyone is a fresh food nut like I am, but I believe that everyone should give some of these lonesome fruits and veggies a try. Take coconuts for instance, I have learned something very cool about Coconut water. The water(milk) in a coconut takes 9 months to form inside the shell. It is so sterile and so close to our blood plasma that we could use it intravenously! Awesome...now if I am ever stranded on an island I will know what to do with my coconuts!!!

After giving you a small taste of goodness, I want to challenge you to clean up your pantry & refrigerator. Try to stock it with healthful items so you & your family can live a quality life!

Tips & Suggestions

Flax Seed is a great thing to add to cereal's, smoothies, & breads. Flax seed is loaded with Omega 3 Fatty Acids that you need to help maintain good heart health and a great source of fiber. You will want to grind it so your body can digest it. I use a coffee grinder. One Tablespoon of Flax Seed has the same amount of fiber as 1 1/2 cups of oatmeal.


Here is some Cream of Wheat with 1 Tbsp. brown sugar, 1 Tbsp. ground flax seed, & 1 Tbsp. Raisens. Yummy breakfast for sure!

Here is a balanced breakfasted with some scrambled eggwhites with tomatoes, cilantro, & cracked pepper along with the Cream of wheat! You may not be a breakfast person, but it is very important to fuel your body early so you can burn it off throughout the day. Most people eat a big meal at dinner when they are not going to be able to burn it off at night when they are at rest.

Money Saver Tip
I love both cereals that are shown in the picture below, but I run out of them so quickly. They both cost about $3 to $3.50 per box and only have approximately 6 servings in each. The Cream of Wheat costs about $3 or less a box and contains 24 servings.

7 comments:

Samantha said...

Elizabeth - I love the fact that you are so passionate about healthy eating and how you want to help other people discovered healthy eating.

Gena said...

I love that you are so passionate, too. You inspire me.

The 5 Arbuckle's said...

Our school received a grant from the state department of ed. this year for fresh fruits and veggies. Three times a week our students get to try a different fresh fruit or veggie. I've had fruit and veggies I had never heard of before. Some of the things we have had are blood red grapefruit, star fruit, dragon fruit, jicima, 2 different kinds of plums, 2 different kinds of pears. It's been fun to watch different students try them and their facial expressions.

Emily said...

I buy my flaxseed already ground. I put it in a lot of what my kids eat.

Although now I'm regretting those Fruit loops I ate this morning....

Kayla said...

I like those two boxes of cereal too! I should try cream of wheat again. It's been like 15 years since I've had it!

Wa Wa Waughs said...

thanx for the reminder!

Kelli said...

Great Post! I am going to have to check out that book! I cooked brussel sprouts for the fist time the other day and surprisingly they were a hit. BTW, I have that same fruit bowl. It motivates me to keep lots of good fruit because I love how it looks full of colorful fruit. How crazy is it to be motivated by your fruit bowl? I guess whatever it takes!